Sunday, February 2, 2014

Bright Ideas Blog Hop

Hi everyone!
Today I am joining over 100 bloggers to bring you an amazing blog hop full of bright ideas.
Can you imagine?! Over 100 teaching ideas to share with you...wow!
So...why don't you grab a cup of coffee, some paper and pencil and join us for some blog hoppin' fun?! 

What's your favorite part of your teaching day? 
Is it math, science...perhaps writing?
Mine has to be guided reading! 
I love it when my littles' faces shine bright knowing that they just read something amazing and completely understood it! It's a wonderful, wonderful feeling...priceless!
Because I so love this time of day I keep most of my guided reading tools in a basket behind my kidney table on a shelf.
Everything that I need during my small group instruction with my little bitties is in that basket.
Pointers, highlighters, highlighting tape, sight word lists, letter tiles, dry erase boards and dry erase markers, cut-up sentence strips, flip book with comprehension questions and of course some bright Ticonderoga pencils round up the entire little setup. I love it! It really helps me keep organized and those precious 20 minutes of guided reading are spent doing just that...reading, not looking for the items we might need for that lesson.
Here's what my little basket looks like on any given day.
And yes...pink is my favorite color. I love pink! 

Like I said before guided reading is dear to my heart, and by far the most favorite part of the day. 
I love using Reading a-z with my littles for guided reading. They have hundreds of leveled and phonics readers and the best thing about it is that the lessons, activities, and assessments are included with each book...it's fabulous!
Here's a little schedule of how we do guided reading in my classroom. 
1. On Mondays I introduce the book and we discuss the vocabulary and target skills. 
I usually use some sort of graphic organizer or interactive page to really dig deeper and understand the skill being presented. 
2. On Tuesdays our focus is vocabulary and word work. My students create a vocabulary flip book or complete a game that will target the word skill of the week. They love it when the game is fast paced...most don't even realize that they are learning so much during this activity. 
This makes for one happy teacher! ;) 
3. On Wednesdays I pair up the students and they choral read the story. This allows them to build fluency and become better readers. After they are finished reading the story they will create a story map. The students will list the characters, the setting, the beginning middle and end of the story, along with the problem and solution. Being able to comprehend what is happening in the story is extremely important, and by having them complete the story map, I am making sure that their comprehension foundation is solid. 
4. On Thursdays we review the vocabulary and target skills. The review may consist of playing a vocabulary game and/or completing an activity that will support the skills being taught that week. 
5. On Fridays students read the story independently. Then, they have a short quiz over comprehension, vocabulary, and the target skill. 
The entire routine M-F is really simple and has helped my students tremendously. I hope that by sharing my schedule and routine...I'm able to help someone get started with their guided reading groups...I love it...and I know you will too! 

If you are interested in more bright ideas...please visit the next blog on this blog hop hosted by Christy and Tammy over at Fluttering Through First Grade...they have an awesome writing tip for you! ;) 

Alternatively, you may want to visit the link-up below and choose a topic that interests you! 

Enjoy the blog hop...happy Sunday! 




11 comments:

Jamie Prichard said...

Hi, I loved your post/idea. I teach 3rd grade, and I have the MOST trouble with guided reading!! UGH! What do the rest of the kids do while you are meeting with a group? I have never been successful.
Thanks!!
Jamie

Laura said...

Love your guided reading basket, Gladys! So organized and inspiring! Thanks for sharing! Love your new look, too!! Adorable!
XO
Laura
Peace, Love, and First Grade

Miss T said...

Love that basket...storing that tip for later!

Journey of a Substitute Teacher

Lori said...

I keep a teacher basket for Guided Reading too. The contents of yours is similar to mine. Love how it keeps everything handy and right there!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

Kristen said...

I swear I sighed with happiness when I saw the lovely organized basket for reading! I still haven't done this and I really should!! I pinned your image so I won't forget to do this asap. Thanks Gladys :) :)

Christina said...

I too have a basket of everything I need at my fingertips so I am ready when my group starts. Do you see every group everyday? That was the impression I got from your post. Your plans sound very thorough but I wonder how you fit it in if you do see every student every day.

Dance4JC said...

how many groups do you have? How long do your groups last? How many kiddos per group? What are your other groups doing at these times? THANKS! Still trying to master this time and wrapping my head around all the ideas! Love LOVE LOVE Reading a-z books and activities!

The Colorful Apple said...

What a wonderful post! This would have been perfect for my students last year, when I was in second grade. I love how you follow a similar routine every week. Such great ideas!

Sara :)
The Colorful Apple

TeacherTeacher said...

Thanks for sharing your love of Guided Reading.
I too love to hear my students read.
My future goals will include having my guided reading space and teaching tools as organised as yours :)

Hayley
Teacher Teacher Store

Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

I love the cute, colorful basket! I need to get my things looking that pretty and organized!

Tiffany
KTeacherTiff