Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy April Fool's Day!

Hey y'all! 
I'm sure today will be a fun day of pranks and jokes..I do have 4 kids after all. And who doesn't love a good knock-knock joke? I know that my boy sure does...he has a whole book full of them...and still can't get enough! Ha! But have you ever wondered what the origin of April Fool's Day is..my other boy is a history buff and he loves researching things...so when I gave him a challenge..he rose to the occasion..that's my boy! 
So here is what he told me...
In the 16th century most people in Europe celebrated the New Year on or around April 1st, they followed the Julian calendar. In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII pulls a switcheroo and decides to replace the old Julian calendar with a newer, more reformed calendar..called {very appropriately} the Gregorian calendar. So with this calendar New Year's Day is celebrated on Jan.1st. According to popular belief many people either refused to accept this new calendar or didn't learn about it soon enough...and continued to celebrate the New Year on April 1. Poor souls from then on were called April Fools..these people were made fun of for being traditionalists and were at times tricked. 
Hmmm, interesting. 

Okay..so now that you know what the origin of this fun day is...how do you feel about celebrating April Fool's Day in your classroom? Do you trick your class? Do you just tell jokes? I would love to know!

April Fool's Day Read Alouds
And some fun April Fool's Day activities I found floating around in blogland. 
from Annie at Kindergarten at Heart
from Rachel at Sub Hub

I'll leave you with a knock, knock joke...
Knock knock. 
Who's there?
Boo. 
Boo who?
Don't cry, it's only a joke!

Hahaha! Okay..not that funny..but cute nonetheless. ;)

Happy April Fool's Day!

5 comments:

FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) said...

Great history!
Jennifer

First Grade Blue SKies

Lori Rosenberg said...

Happy April Fool's Day to you! I've definitely tricked my classes in the past. They wouldn't expect anything less from me! I've given them word searches where none of the words in the word bank are in the word search and a spelling test that, once they got to the last word and read it up, says: this is not your real spelling test Happy April Fool's Day! You would think they'd all figure it out at least halfway through, right? Not always the case , though! LOL!

Lori
Teaching With Love and Laughter

Mr Lonely said...

Happy April Fools~~ have a nice day ~ =)

Regards,
http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

Mrs. Cupcake said...

Never knew the history! I think I'll give my kids some ridiculous looking test tomorrow as an April Fool's joke :)
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Erica said...

He he he! I actually was taught the hitory of April's Fools in third grade. I told my husband the history of it in our first year of dating and he thought I was trying to fool him! He he he! Silly hubby!

I am your newest follower!

Erica

www.sprinklestokindergarten.blogspot.com

(Sorry - I am on my hubby's computer and my automatic blog paste is on mine.