Monday, March 26, 2012

Guest Blogger...Kelli

Happy Monday! It's Kelli from Castles and Crayons!
Castles and Crayons
I am SO thrilled to be a guest blogger for Gladys today! I hope I can fill in the pinky toe of her fabulous high heels! :)
ONE of my favorite things about first grade {I have about 5, 273 things!} is teaching comprehension. As a former Kinder teacher, I LOVE that we can dig a little deeper in first!
We focus on a comprehension strategy each month. Here is our map for this year:
August ~ Daily Five launch
September ~ Characters
October ~ Main Idea and Details
November ~ Making Connections
December ~ Making Predictions
January ~ Making Inferences
February ~ Asking Questions
March ~ Retelling
April ~ Summarizing
May ~ Visualizing
This month is all about retelling! One of my very favorite ways to teach retelling is with the Retelling Rope. One of the reading coaches in our district shared this idea with us and I knew you would love it too!
After reading a fiction text, I have one of my students hold the Retelling Rope in front of the class. We touch each part of the rope as we retell and discuss each element of the story.
PRESH or PRESH???
All you need is ribbon, the wooden shapes {I got mine from Hobby Lobby}, a few beads or pom poms, and a hot glue gun. If you don't have a craft store near you, I included some pictures that you could print, laminate, and glue to a ribbon. I made four Retelling Ropes {for my first grade team} for a total cost of $10. It is simple, adorable, and EFFECTIVE! What's not to love??!!?? :)
Click {HERE} to download the directions to make your very own Retelling Rope!

I would love for you to stop by Castles and Crayons! I have a SLIGHT obsession with The Daily Five, Word Work, There Was an Old Lady books, and the color pink! Hope to see you soon! :)



Thanks Kelli...your retelling rope..is presh! Thank you for sharing!

P.S. I'm having a Spring Sale over at my TpT store all my items are marked down to $2...hope you come and shop 'till you drop! ;) Sale will end on Tuesday at midnight. Toodles!

12 comments:

Ms. Kerri said...

That's such a cute idea. I think I see making a retelling rope in my future. Thanks for sharing.
Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

Mrs. Cupcake said...

I love this idea! TFS!! I know exactly where to get the little wooden pieces :)
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Miss DeCarbo said...

Very cute! :-)

Second Grade Sugar and Spice

Mr. Jones said...

This is a great visual way to remind the kids. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
First Upon A Time

Laura Boriack said...

What a cute idea! I can't wait to try this out with my first graders :) Thanks!
Laura
Over the 1st Grade Rainbow

Bethany McClure said...

Thanks! I can't wait to make this!

-Bethany
Learning is a Journey

applesandabcs said...

I have never thought of a "retelling rope"...that is adorable!

Michelle

Apples and ABC's

sara feng said...

So cut !Christian Louboutin from New York .

Angela said...

Kelli, Thank you so much for inspiring me to make a retell rope and use this in my classroom! I love it! Check out my post about it here.

Angela

Primarily Primary

Jaly Can said...

We've long been inspired by urban art and have finally created a collection that pays homage to this secret addiction of ours!

Danielle said...

Love the idea. Could you give me a couple suggestions for books you would use that easily fit to your re-telling rope. What if there are elements that are missing? Do students have a difficult time discussing the difference between the ending (B, M, E) and what ties it all up?

Thanks!!

Leslie Lim said...

Pretty good post. I found your website perfect for my needs. Thanks for sharing the great ideas.


Xander
www.imarksweb.org