Monday, March 5, 2012

Guest Blogger..Courtney

Hello! My name is Courtney and I'm guest blogging today from Swimming into Second. Thanks to Gladys for allowing me to have a day to post on her amazing blog!
I'm a big fan of using games in the classroom. I try to have at least one game a day to help my students practice their skills. Lately, I've been making many of my games just so they cover exactly what I need them to cover.
One thing that I've found works well with the games is to put all the materials in one zippered bag (the game cards, 2 color counters, and dice) so that it is easier to hand out and clean up. My students usually all play the same game at the same time so it makes my life easier with everything in one place.
We also use connecting cubes to play games, especially when there are more than 2 children playing a game.

My kids really love games with dice and cootie catchers. I'm not really sure how big dice are different than little dice but the big ones always seem to be a hit.
One of my students' favorite games is a search around the room. They especially love The Teacher Wife's word hunts from her different units.
We are working on homophones this week in my classroom. My second graders can often tell me what a homophone is but really have trouble deciding which one they should use in a sentence. I came up with a game to help them practice using the correct word in a sentence and it is a freebie for you! Click on the pictures to take you to the download.

There are a total of 22 question cards included with the game.

I would love it if you would come over and check out my blog for more freebies and ideas!

Thank you Courtney for being a wonderful guest blogger! I LOVED your homophones game...it's perfect for that extra practice!

8 comments:

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Great guest post...and love the game!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

luckeyfrog said...

Thanks for sharing. We're working on homophones this week too!

Tabitha said...

Thank you!

Valerie said...

Thanks for this great game! I can't wait to use it with my students!

✿Valerie
Grow Up Learning
Grow Up Learning Facebook Page

Courtney Bartlett said...

Thanks ladies! I'm glad you can use the game in your classroom.

Swimming into Second

Kristen said...

I really enjoyed this post Courtney--so smart!
Kristen

Melanie Conger said...

So cool you are guest blogging! Love this game! Exactly what we need for homophones. Thanks for all of your great ideas! I love your blog!

Melanie
First Grade Brain Sprinkles

Miss Squirrels said...

Thanks Courtney!
I like the question cards~ we are doing homophones next week!
Staci

Going Nutty!

misssquirrels@yahoo.com