Monday, March 19, 2012

Guest Blogger..Courtney J.

Hey guys! I'm Courtney from

First off I'm so excited to be able to blog here at Teaching In High Heels and I hope you find this tid bit of information somewhat beneficial. In my building we don't have school on Mondays so today I'm relaxing at a farm in rural Missouri over looking the North River (jealous yet??) Anywho with all this extra time on my hands (yea right) I've been on a freebie search. I'm out of class money by now so my TPT purchases on my class budget really has come to a sudden HALT. So I'd thought I'd share some tips and freebies I have came across throughout the pass couple weeks to use at a couple different grade levels! I guess you could look at this as "teaching fractions on a small budget"--Hope you all enjoy!

We started the topic of fractions by introducing basic vocbualary and talking about how the numerator started with an N as in NORTH so a numerator is always above the line just like North is up on a map.(hopefully that makes sense to everyone). For the denominator we said since it starts with a D just like DOWN, the denominator is always "DOWN" underneath the fraction line.
Our students seemed to really catch onto that.
Here is a super short video that reinforces the concept of fractions

My FAVORITE activity we did so far was this so so cute Lucky Fraction worksheet found here! My kids LOVED doing this. It simply requires a box of Lucky Charms and some basic knowledge of fractions. I only had 3/19 (haha) students struggle while doing this worksheet. Which I thought was pretty darn good.
Next on my poor teacher fraction search I turned to Pinterest. Almost a duh right? I can't express how amazing the math resources are on there. I've found some GREAT resources for fractions. If you don't already follow this math board I highly suggest you do so now..and her other teaching boards as well.
With that in mind here are a few activities we have planned this week-

VIA


VIA

Can't wait to make these fraction books!

VIA

This also comes with a great worksheet that we did on the smartboard as a class!

Freebie Here!
Darling yes??
Another approach on the name fraction idea

Both ideas VIA


Another fun activity that is perhaps a teeny bit more advanced

VIA

An awesome easy to use math center

Another approach on the name fraction idea

Both ideas VIA


photo VIA

If you can get your fingers on the Fraction Foam Burgers I highly suggest it. Although I think they are impossible to find online my kids really enjoyed playing around with them. I'd ask around if you don't have access to them already. Some of the more experienced teachers might have them hiding on a shelf somewhere ;)
If you aren't as poor as me right now I'd check out this unit here. Be use to download the freebie though also!
I'll leave you with these two freebies I created for my classroom!

Apple Fractions


Click here to download


Pizza Creations


Click here to download

We used THIS as the pizza dough and printed it on tan paper!
Hope you all found something you can use to make your life a little easier while teaching fractions. Be sure to stop by Miss Third Grade for more ideas that you can use in your classroom!

Thanks Courtney! Great ideas and freebies!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Courtney,

This probably is not very helpful since you are currently lacking funds. However, in the dollar section at Wal-Mart, they have some large pizza plates that are shaped as an actual pizza. They would be great for teaching fractions. I have been eyeing them myself. Also, I am having a giveaway at my blog, a Golden Giveaway! It's free to enter, just follow my blog!

Ashley
Live2Learn

Courtney said...

I'll check it out thanks! I've never noticed that our Wal-Mart has dollar bins but I'm going to look into that. I'm sure I could scrounge up some money!

LYNDSEY said...

Cute! Thanks so much for sharing. Loved this post.

Lyndsey
A Year of Many Firsts

Michaela Thorstenson said...

These are some great activities. My kids are always struggling with fractns. I have downloaded them and can't wait to get them into my files to use me next year. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Michaela