Thursday, March 24, 2011

Guest Blogger: Kacey~Doodle Bugs Paper



Hello!!
 
My name is Kacey and I am the owner/designer behind Doodle Bugs Paper.
You can read more about me and my stationery business HERE.
You can also read my blog and see more of my products!.

I am tickled pink to have the opportunity to guest blog for Gladys while she is away for a few days..
I know how busy life can be and blogging sometimes gets pushed to the bottom of the to-do list!

So, besides running a business I also teach full time. I am a first grade teacher at a private school in Mississippi.

One of the main reasons I started DBP was to give me an opportunity to work from home because I did not plan on teaching for the rest of my life. At the time I was in a school district with too many rules and regulations and I simply HATED MY JOB!
I pushed hard and got my business to a point where I was comfortable staying home and selling stationery full time. Then....my dream job became available....a first grade position at the local private school.  This was my chance to do what I loved. I am currently in my 11th year of teaching. Now, I love teaching just as much as I love designing and selling my stationery.
This is our testing week so the majority of our time we'll be testing. {yuck!}
But, between testing our theme this week is FROGS!
We are studying the life cycle of frogs and learning about amphibians. We will be reading lots of non-fiction books about frogs and of course enjoying tons of Froggy books and Frog and Toad books. 
Here are our weekly centers...

In this center the students are answering "calendar questions".
The questions are all things we discuss on the mat each morning when we do the calendar.
The questions are on frog cards and they have a recording sheet to write their answers.
The next center is making a life cycle of a frog. This activity came from  DLTK kids.
My kids would be upset if one of their centers was not an art project. This was a simple project. They used an oval template to cut a head and two size circle templates to cut eyes. They rolled red paper to make the tongue. Later this week they will write frog sentences or a short frog story to attach to these. 
 Our poem this week is Tiny Tim.
In this center they had to arrange the lines of the poem in the correct order.
 When they finish, they could use these cards to put the poem in order in one of our pocket charts.
 In this center the students had to count the frogs on the lily pads by 5's and record their answers on their paper.
 When they finished they could play frog/butterfly tic-tac-toe.
Thank you again Gladys for the chance to share a little bit of my world with your readers.
I would love for you to "hop on over" to my Doodle Bugs Blog and become a follower.


Photobucket


7 comments:

Mrs. Ibarra said...

Thanks for sharing your class pictures and the FUN things they are doing. I really love the frog cycle. I had found that last year and haven't had the chance to use it. Now that I have a VISUAL, I will make sure to use it. I love the frog face...I am sure they loved making them!

Miss Axton's Class said...

Love all this! We are starting Life Cycles next week, so this is perfect! Do you have the printables available?

Kinderpond said...

I love love love the frog themed centers :) I am so going to make some of them up this week to use next week!!



Jennifer
kinderpond.com

Gladys said...

Thank you for being a guest blogger, Kacey! I absolutely ADORE your frog centers!

Fern Smith said...

This is adorable! I am new to this 'blog' world and I just love it...I can't believe I lived so long without it! I love, love, love every single frog activity & pic. you showed us....I am going now to find your blog to follow!
~Fern
fern-smith.blogspot.com

terep711 said...

Super cute!! You are very creative!!! Your kids are very lucky!!

Conchy said...

This is soooo creative and simple, yet you covered all areas of the curriculum. Great job! I wish I could teach this way!

Thanks again!

Conchy