Sunday, January 23, 2011

Beautiful Weather!

My students have been learning about the weather in Science these past couple of weeks...and it has been so much fun! We watched some videos on Brain Pop Jr. (you HAVE to try this terrific site!) and learned some awesome things with Annie and Moby! We also read lots of weather books:







And used this AWESOME book for some very cool experiments...(that I forgot to take pictures of...ughh!)


 We also created these weather bubble maps...to activate prior knowledge.


I LOVED the way they came out!!

You can also find some super cute things Mrs. Carroll from The First Grade Parade has done with her class here.
How cute is this water cycle diagram?!

And look at this adorable cloud!

Her activities are so stinkin' cute!

I can honestly say that we had a blast learning about weather...now onto objects in the sky! We will be learning about the sun, the moon, and the stars...this next week. Let me know if you have any cute activities you do with your class...or that you have found on the web.

6 comments:

Ms.M said...

I adore Braun Pop but they are so expensive. :( My school and district won't buy the subscription. Something about spending all the tech budget on projectors & document cameras for every classroom & laptops for every teacher, blah blah blah. Maybe our technology liason can write a grant for next year.

Great books about weather!

Ms. M
www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

Holly said...

I used The First Grade Parade ideas too! My kids loved the Weather unit!!

Katie said...

oooohh!! I loveee teaching weather! We do a lot of fun activities too! We don't go into sun/moon/stars, but I have seen other teachers use oreos to help with different phases of the moon. Take off one side and then use the cream filling to make different phases- I know phases are probably NOT a 1st grade standard, but could be super cute to adapt for your firsties!

-Katie
www.persnicketypickles.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Great books!
I'm sure you know about Happy Birthday Moon by Frank Asch. Bear Shadow really helps understanding of sunrise and sunset. You could do a shadow drawing in the morning and one in the afternoon.
Check out my blog if you want resources and ideas to teach reading.

Michelle said...

Hello!
I can't find your email anywhere and think you emailed me about a giveaway. If you so, would you mind emailing me again? I lost the email! Sad!!

Michelle
fabulousinfirst.blogspot.com

Kara said...

What a great collection of books! Love the activities too! I'm your newest follower- thanks for stopping by Little Learners Lounge!