My students have been learning about insects this past week...as a culmination activity and take home project they were assigned to create an insect collection and bring it to school. Here are some pictures of their collections...some collections are simple and to the point...and others are super creative. All in all this was a great way to finish our Insect Unit.
My first love was and still is my husband. We met when we were Juniors in high school...but didn't start dating until we were Seniors...we went to prom together and have been together ever since...my kids love to hear stories of us back in high school...how did we meet (we went to the same high school...he was a basketball player...and I was on the dance team)...which classes did we have together (English and History)...did we like each other right away (not at first...he was dating someone else)...it's fun reminiscing about your 1st love...this post has definitely brought back great memories. Thank you, Katie. Love you, sweetie!
Okay...so I was browsing the net catching up with my favorite blogs..when I stumbled upon Katie's 30 Day Blog Challenge...being that I have slacked a little in the blogging department I decided it would be a good idea to join. So here I am...(a day late of course!)...no worries...I'm doubling up today...I'll do both...Day 1 and Day 2.
Day 1: Introduce yourself and 15 interesting facts.
Hi everyone my name is Gladys and I am a first grade teacher...I love teaching little ones and have been doing so for 5 years.
1. I am the oldest child in my family. I have 1 brother and 2 sisters...when I was little I used to force my brother to play school with me...I guess I made quite an impact on him because he decided to become a teacher too...lol. I'm so happy I now get to teach for real!
2. I married my high school sweetheart and we have 4 beautiful children.
3. I was a kindergarten teacher before becoming a 1st grade teacher...I really like 1st grade...the kids are so much more independent...
4. I obsess about the desks in my classroom being straight...and hate having scraps of paper on the floor. My coworkers think I'm OCD...but I'm not...or at least I haven't been diagnosed yet! The custodians do say that my classroom is the neatest and cleanest...hmmm...
5. I love pretzels...especially warm, buttery, lightly salted pretzels...ok...I'm getting hungry now.
6. I hate having my picture taken...thus the lack of a picture. I'm usually behind the lense and ♥ taking pictures of my family...especially my kids.
7. I love clothes! My closet is bursting with clothes...just to give you an idea of how many clothes I have...I don't think I've worn the same outfit twice since school started...What about the kids closets you ask? They look just like mine! I think a garage sale is in order soon...we need to make room for more clothes!
8. I've been thinking about going back to school to get my Master's degree but have procrastinated for 2 years...had I started back in 2008, I would've finished by now...I think I'll start in January...hopefully.
9. I want to teach myself how to sew so bad I bought a sewing machine...it is sitting on my side of the bed...untouched. I need more hours in the day!
10. I love my grade level people...they're energetic, fun, and awesome teachers.
11. I love reading...and could do better in math...my students are a reflection of me...they're strong readers...but need a little help in math. I'm really working on this...believe me.
12. The last book I read was the Daily 5...I now want to read a good fiction book. Any recommendations?
13. I always take work home...but between homework, dinner, and baths...I hardly have time to work on it...I'm also working on this...believe me.
14. I am 5 ft 4 inches tall and wish I were taller.
15. I ♥ movies...I usually watch movies on the weekend...with a bowl of popcorn and some pickles! Can't go wrong with this combo!
Day 2: Meaning behind your blog name.
Once Upon a Time in First Grade comes from my love of fairy tales...my favorite is Little Red Riding Hood.
I finally have a chance to post about the fun apple activities my Firsties and I did this week. We created an apple circle map, made applesauce, celebrated Johnny Appleseed's contribution to our country with an awesome apple party...and wrote some cute apple poems. Here are some pictures of our apple activities. Enjoy! ♥