Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Marvelous Mittens

In January my kiddos and I usually complete a Mitten Unit...it is super fun and the kids really enjoy it. These are some of the books I plan on reading and some of the activities I plan on doing...




Jan Brett's website is a fabulous resource for any of her books. We will use a lot of the printables she has available on her site.
I usually print and laminate the Mitten Character Masks, then staple them to craft sticks. My Firsties use these masks to retell the story. Later they are placed at a center...so my students can practice retelling the story.
I also like to use the Put the Animals in the Mitten Activity for story sequencing. This activity will be placed at a pocket chart in a center...so that my kiddos can sequence the story. My students will also make and color their own activity to take home.

Marcia Goudie has created some awesome activities that she shares...here are just a few that I'm planning to use.
The Animals of the Mitten worksheet will be used to create patterns or for word problems during math.
The Mitten Sight Words will be used in small group to review sight words with my struggling readers.
The Mitten Stationary will be in the writing center...so that my Firsties can create their own mitten stories.
Here is another sequencing activity that is very cute!

Mathwire.com has a lot of math related ideas for the book The Mitten: Math-Literature Connections for The Mitten.

Finally, here are some other sites that have great Mitten themed units:
and don't forget about The Mitten probability activities from Swamp Frog First Graders.

 
 I hope y'all (okay...that's my South Texas drawl coming out...hehehe!) enjoy these fun activities!

6 comments:

Ms.M said...

These are wonderful. I won't be reading The Mitten until the 3rd week in January, so I have some time to prepare the nice activities. I start the year with The Jacket We Wear in the Snow and talk about dressing for winter. The second week is dedicated to snowmen. Then we get to The Mitten.

Ms. M
www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Thank you for this!
I am back to teaching first grade after a long break at home with my own boys-
These mitten activities will be in my classroom this year!
I am finding so many great ideas on other first grade teacher blogs, that my Vice Principal is so impressed with me!
So, thanks-

Lu said...

I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog! I have been dreading going back to teaching on Monday but your post about the mitten's unit and favorite read alouds have helped remind me why I love what I do!!!!

Rachelle and Brian said...

I loooove this post! I was just about to make a unit on "The Mitten"...now you've made it so much easier....Check back on my blog this weekend!!!

-Rachelle
www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Gladys said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments ladies...I truly hope you and your students enjoy these activities as much as we do! ♥

Debra said...

I put the spinner into a smartboard flipchart - thanks for sharing!
♥ Deb
http://darke.k12.oh.us/~Debra_Green/