Monday, September 27, 2010

Apple Unit Part 1

     It's finally feeling like fall here in South Texas...61 beautiful degrees...I actually had to go back and get my light denim jacket this morning...I absolutely looove this weather. Anyway...today we kicked off our apple unit, my Firsties were sooo excited!
     In honor of Johnny Appleseed's birthday we will do lots of fun apple related activities this week. On Friday we will finish off with an apple party...so fun! Today we started with the reading of some apple books and poems...we then created an apple circle map (pictures to be posted tomorrow...since I forgot to take pictures today)...and finally sang Happy Birthday to Johnny Appleseed.
My class and I are really enjoying our apple unit...and we can't wait to do some more apple activities! I'll leave you with some of my favorite apple books...Enjoy!







2 comments:

According to Ashley said...

OOhhh....I'm doing a mini apple unit this week/next week. We read "Ten Red Apples" (math booking - counting backwards from 10). Then yesterday we used paper apples to act out the story. I feel crunched for time but I'm hoping to also have them count the # of seeds inside, label the parts, and taste red vs green (to graph the results). Love your blog! Can't wait to read more of your older posts!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I am also a first grade teacher, and did a bunch of apple things over the past few weeks...one thing I did that my class LOVED, was I dressed up in a Lab coat, and had safety goggles on. They had to call me, Professor. Then we 'disected' apples, and counted the seeds, and then graphed the results for math...Love all the fun we can have in first grade!!!
I am dying to do a big pumpkin unit, but I am trying to wait until November...
God Bless!