Monday, August 9, 2010

Problem Solving and Math Journals

Okay...I admit I am not strong in math...my strength is reading and writing...therefore as a reflection of my passion my students love to read and write and I'm sad to say...dislike math. This year I want to change things...I want my students to enjoy math and to be successful problem solvers...I found this great resource that I think is going to help me do just that...

K-5 Math Teaching Resources is a website geared to problem solving...but not only that, it also describes how to integrate math journals in your classroom. I have always felt that journaling is a natural process to problem solving and this website does an excellent job at describing in detail what this entails...it even has pictures of journal pages!  The website also provides awesome free-resources like games, literature connections, and math center ideas. The activites on this site are perfect for use in math centers, small group or whole class settings. I am so excited to use this newfound resource!

My district uses the Envision curriculum from Scott Foresman, but I have always felt that it lacked a little in the problem solving area...hopefully by integrating journals in my math block, it will help to supplement the curriculum I am currently using.


The following are pictures of the example journals on their site.




I love the idea of having children write and draw their way through problem solving. Definitely a must do in my class this year. Go here to explore their website...you'll be glad you did! ♥♥♥

4 comments:

Sunny said...

We use Everyday Math in my district and I think one of the reasons I like it so much is the journal aspect. There are so many problems that make the children THINK about math rather than just memorizing steps (which inevitably causes mistakes later). The journal part allows them to think about math and apply the steps to solving the problems while thinking about the concepts too.

I used to really hate math too and then once we adopted Everyday Math and I suddenly understood how everything worked, my students began to like math more too. I know a lot of people don't like Everyday Math but the concepts make total sense to my non-math-inclined brain so I like teaching it :)

Gladys said...

Sunny, I also want my children to THINK about math rather than just memorize facts! I hope that by journaling they'll be able to think about the concepts and work through the problem solving steps instead of just memorizing math facts.

Sneaker Teacher said...

My district is starting a new math adoption this year and I am interested to see what it's all about. We all got to review a few different programs so I saw bits and pieces of what it's like but I never really get the full picture until I am using it and teaching with it daily.

Luckily I am going to be part of a training so I can get some tips before school starts. I hope it's a solid program that gets kids thinking and not just memorizing!

KT

Danielle said...

Math Journals are my absolute favorite! Your going to love them once you start using them!

For more realistic assessment ideas, I like to use the Assessment Sampler K-2 written by NCTM. It requires more from a child then just to get the "right answer."